At Huuso Services, safety is our top priority! When a storm is heading your way, it is good to be prepared.
Here are some tips on how to stay safe during a storm.
- Be Weather-Ready: Check the forecast regularly to see if you’re at risk for severe weather. Listen to local news or an NOAA Weather Radio to stay informed about severe thunderstorm watches and warnings. Check the Weather-Ready Nation for tips.
- Sign Up for Notifications: Know how your community sends a warning. Some communities have outdoor sirens. Others depend on media and smartphones to alert residents to severe storms.
- Subscribe to our emails to get warnings on when a storm is near you.
- Create a Communications Plan: Have a family plan that includes an emergency meeting place and related information. Pick a safe room in your home such as a basement, storm cellar, or an interior room on the lowest floor with no windows. Get more ideas for a plan at https://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan
- Practice Your Plan: Conduct a family severe thunderstorm drill regularly so everyone knows what to do if a damaging wind or large hail is approaching. Make sure all members of your family know to go there when severe thunderstorm warnings are issued. Don’t forget pets if time allows.
- Prepare Your Home: Keep trees and branches trimmed near your house. If you have time before severe weather hits, secure loose objects, close windows and doors, and move any valuable objects inside or under a sturdy structure.
- Help Your Neighbor: Encourage your loved ones to prepare for severe thunderstorms. Take CPR training so you can help if someone is hurt during severe weather.
After the storm, there may be damage to your home. Storms cause over $1 billion in damages every year to roofs. Make sure your roof and home are safe and get a free roof inspection.